GMO is an abbreviation for Genetically Modified Organisms. Technically it is a kind of scientific farming in which chemicals are utilized to increase the size and yield of the crops. The concept of GMO has already gained a lot of ground and has become the part and parcel of the foods which we take today. There has been a lot of debate on GMO farming with some researches telling us about its harmful effects and some telling us about its advantages. In this article we will not jump into any conclusions rather we will mention both the merits and demerits of GMO farming. The purpose of this article is to give information to the readers rather than jumping onto conclusions.
Genetically Modified Organism: Advantages:
People who defend GMO support their argument on the basis of the advantages associated with GMO’s. A long list of such advantages can be prepared however here we will mention a few only so that our readers can get a brief idea about it. Some of these advantages are as follows
- The concept of GMO is very beneficial for the farmers as it results in higher gain and profits for the famer community. A farmer can earn good profit through GMO and that too by spending less time as well as resources
- The GMO farming is very beneficial if we keep the economic benefit under consideration. GMO crops have the natural ability to repel pests which saves the additional cost of investing in different pesticides.
- The food prices get decreased due to GMO farming as it results in lower cost and advanced crops.
- The GMO farming will be very beneficial for people who are poor and who cannot afford expensive foods. The GMO farming will result in less starvation for people who belong to lower class as it will decrease the food prices.
Genetically Modified Organism: Dis-Advantages:
- GMO’s can destroy the Mother Nature as GMO crops can be deadly for some natural insects like butterflies.
- The taste of traditional crop is much better than GMO crops and this has been the common feedback of people who have used both types of food
- GMO foods can damage your immune system which will open the gate for harmful diseases.
- The GMO farming can have harmful effects on the environment. The reason is that GMO farming is very different then natural farming and in fact GMO farming doesn’t involve the natural method of cultivating crops and plants.
- GMO foods contain food allergies which can be very harmful for the human body and general health of the people.
These were some of the pros and cons associated with Genetically Modified Organisms. As stated above there has been a lot of debate on the subject with both sides giving concrete arguments to defend their views. We hope that the above mentioned pros and cons of GMO’s will serve as a first step for you in gaining more knowledge about the topic.